Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Top 5 Books of 2010

As promised, I selected my top 5 books of 2010, plus an honorable mention.  It was a difficult decision with so many deserving nominees, but I had to choose just 5! 

In no particular order. 

1.  Texasville by Larry McMurtry. 
I've read a lot of Larry McMurtry books, but I really enjoy this series that started with The Last Picture Show.  He often writes about ranchers and oil men in Texas and it reminds me of a simpler time, despite his crazy family. 

2.  Fine Just the Way It Is:  Wyoming Stories 3 by Annie Proulx. 
Are short stories a genre?  If so, I enjoy this genre and Annie Proulx is one of the best.  If I ever wanted to be a writer, it would be in this genre (aha, using the word in a sentence).  But I could never do it as well as her.

3.  Quilting for Peace:  Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time by Katherine Bell.
I know there are a few quilters in my family and this is one of the best quilting books.  The projects are simple and the stories behind quilting projects around the world are inspiring. 

4.  Food Rules:  An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan.
I read several books related to health and nutrition this year and I think this manual is by far the best.  It is short, simple, concise.  I could read it every six weeks and still enjoy it. 

5.  Unbroken:  A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.
Laura Hillenbrand wrote Seabiscuit which I did not read, but had excellent reviews.  I picked up this book not expecting to love it, but I really did!  It certainly won my non-fiction category this year. 

Honorable Mention
Confessions of a Slacker Mom by Muffy Mead-ferro. 
The lovely and talented Hannah Kotterman gave/lent me this book and I am so grateful!  Muffy Mead-ferro shares advice on raising children in the age of superkids.